This is an analysis of the poem Crutches that begins with:
it's not the crutches we decry
it's the need to move forward ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaX abccdbbeb dXXbbbeXXXb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,9,11,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010101 0010110 111001 10100101 11010100 111110110 010 101001001 11010101 1101010 1111011101 0101 1101001 111101 10101010 1111100 1111 01110 1101001 110010101011 00100101101 111101 0110
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 226
- Average number of words per stanza: 38
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 27 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Crutches;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Nikki Giovanni
- Analysis of The Laws of Motion
- Analysis of The Great Pax Whitie
- Analysis of A Historical Footnote to Consider Only When All Else Fails