This is an analysis of the poem You Asked How (Formerly Even Now She Is Turning, Saying Everything I Always Wanted Her To Say) that begins with:
At the end there were straws
in her glove compartment, I'd split them open...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcdeXb XbcdXXf cXfaaXXefgggXg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,7,14,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101101 00101011010 01001010101101 11101001001 111111 010011111001 111111101101 111111101111 1111110111 11011111 010111000111 101 0111101011 1110 10010101101 01101110101011 0100110110 11101111 1011101 11011101 1011101 101100101111 0010010111 1011101010111 10010110100 11010110011 010101100 0101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 371
- Average number of words per stanza: 72
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 39 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word is is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of You Asked How (Formerly Even Now She Is Turning, Saying Everything I Always Wanted Her To Say);
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.