This is an analysis of the poem A Sad State Of Freedom that begins with:
You waste the attention of your eyes,
the glittering labour of your hands, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaabaX cdaeebf Xgehi XdbXef XXgfii ccXehea X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,7,5,6,6,7,1,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110010011 010011011 11010111001 01111010 11101110 111010110 01011 11011 1111 1011011 111001110 0101110 1010110 1111011001 11110 1100101110 11 0010010101 11110 1010110101 1111010 110101000100 11101110 11010001111 11011111 1101010101 1101010 11111111 11100010010 1101 11011010 10110 011 1110110 111 101010 001011001 01011010
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 173
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 38
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, you, your are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words you, your are repeated.
The author used the same word you at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase lies connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Sad State Of Freedom;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.