This is an analysis of the poem Whilst Shepherds Watch'D that begins with:
Whilst Shepherds watch'd their flocks by night,
All seated on the ground,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabaaacadbabaaXaXcecdebeX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 25,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11011111 110101 01000111 110101 11111101 111101 11001111 011111 01010101 010101 01010101 101001 010011111 010101 11010101 100101 11010111 0101001 01010111 011101 11000111 100101 00110101 011101 1010
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 825
- Average number of words per stanza: 139
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 32 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word to is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Whilst Shepherds Watch'D;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.