This is an analysis of the poem Sonnet Xxix: When Conquering Love that begins with:
To the Senses
When conquering Love did first my Heart assail, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X aXaXbXbXbbbbcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: rondeau
- Metre: 0010 11001011101 10111101001 1001110101 1111011110 1101010101 11010010100 1110111001 1101001100 1111010101 0101010101 1111011011 1101011101 1111011111 0101111101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 321
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 15
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; with, my are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words my, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sonnet Xxix: When Conquering Love;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Michael Drayton
- Analysis of Sonnet X: To Nothing Fitter
- Analysis of Sonnet Vii: Love In A Humour
- Analysis of Sonnet Xliv: Whilst Thus My Pen