This is an analysis of the poem Lines in Defence of the Stage that begins with:
Good people of high and low degree,
I pray ye all be advised by me,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaa bbaa ccaa dddd ccbb eeaa aaaa dddd XcXX ddaa ffee aaXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 010011101 111100111 1101101011 111000100100101 10010011110110010 010101111001010 11010001001001 1110100101001 010111010011 1101010001011 101001001001 1100001000101 0100100010010001 01010010111 1010101001 101010010010001 0101001010110 10011010001 11000101100010 101000100111010 11010011111 110011111 1101010101001 1100010111010001 10010010100101 110110100101 10101010010111 11010010101 1111010111 1101001101 11110010101001 1010010101011 1101110000101001 1010010001101 10010011101 111111100011010111 01101010010011 01010111111011 1111110010001 111010100101110001 11111111001 0101000100100011 111010110101 01011101010101 100101010101 1001000101 01010000100100 1100110001010000
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 201
- Average number of words per stanza: 37
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 50 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, in, to, he, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words which, and are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines play is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word astray at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lines in Defence of the Stage;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Max Plowman
- Analysis of The Miraculous Escape Of Robert Allan, The Fireman
- Analysis of The Battle Of Sheriffmuir
- Analysis of A Humble Heroine