This is an analysis of the poem The Hospital that begins with:
The hospital on the banks of the canal,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabca defe ccfgfbh f cXdgafe ea g dfXX dh hiidhXcXegah
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,4,7,1,7,2,1,4,2,12,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0110 01101010001 0110101001 1110010001 10010101101001 1111010 1101001001010 111010010 110101101 00100101010 11111100111 1100101101011 10101010101010 11001011001010 10101010101 111101010101 11110011 0100100010001 101010111001 110101011011 110011010 110001010 10010001010 1010100010001001 101110001 1010101100100001 1101001000101010 1010110001101 101101010100011 1011011001001 10100110001011 111100010 1001010111010010 11100110010 1110010100001000100 1110001010 1001000010010 101000100010011 01010101101 1011100111110010001 1010010001001 11010010110 11101001001 1101001001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 528
- Average number of words per stanza: 99
- Amount of lines: 51
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; hospital, of, and, in are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, and, they, now are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Hospital;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.