This is an analysis of the poem The Honest Shepherd that begins with:
When hungry wolves had trespass'd on the fold,
And the robb'd shepherd his sad story told,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaXXbbccdd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11011100101 1011001101 1010010101 1111110101 1101000101 1100110101 0101110001 10011001101 1101111101 1101010111
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 436
- Average number of words per stanza: 79
- Amount of lines: 10
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Honest Shepherd;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Matthew Prior
- Analysis of The English Padlock
- Analysis of An Epistle To Fleetwood Shephard, Esq. Burleigh, May 14, 1689
- Analysis of An Extempore Invitation To The Earl Of Oxford, Lord High Treasurer