This is an analysis of the poem Songs Set To Music: 8. Set By Mr. Smith that begins with:
Still, Dorinda, I adore;
Think I mean not to deceive you,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaab cdccd edeed bfbbf gdggdXadaad
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,11,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1010101 11110011 1111101 1011111 11111011 1011111 10111110 1010001 1111111 11111110 1111101 11111010 1111101 01011001 011101110 0111101 10101110 1110101 1111111 10011110 1011101 11101110 1010111 1011101 01111010 1010101 11101010 1011111 1111101 10111110
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 157
- Average number of words per stanza: 30
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, i, my are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Songs Set To Music: 8. Set By Mr. Smith;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Matthew Prior
- Analysis of The Nut-Brown Maid. A Poem.
- Analysis of Carmen Seculare. For The Year 1700. To The King
- Analysis of For My Own Monument