This is an analysis of the poem Prelude that begins with:
What a twitter! what a tumult! what a whirr of wheeling wings!
Birds of Passage hear the message which the Equinoctial brings. ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aa aa bb cc bb dd dX ee aa aa aa ff gg hh bb ii jj ff aaXbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,2,5,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101010101010101 101010101010001 101010101010101 1010101010101001 111010101010111 101010111010101 101010100011101 1000010101010101 1101010101010111 1110100101010101 1110101010010111 101010101010101 101010101010111 111110010000100 101001110111101 1100101110100101 1010101010001001 101010001010101 101010100111010111 11000101000101 101111101110101 1110001101010101 111010101010101 0011110011111001 111010101110101 1010100101011101 1010101010100101 101011001010101 111011101011101 1001010101010111 101010110010101 1111100101011101 1111111001100100 011011100110111 101111101010111 100101001010010111 111010110110001 1001010101010101 1011110101011101 111010101110001
- Amount of stanzas: 20
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 131
- Average number of words per stanza: 21
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 65 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, what, and, in, as, each are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words birds, and, where are repeated.
The author used the same words where, and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Prelude;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.