This is an analysis of the poem A Letter To A Friend, that begins with:
As in some wealthy, trading Town,
Where Riches raise to fure Renown,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccaaddee XXffbbaa ggeecchhXgghhhh
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,8,15,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10110101 11010101 01010101 11011101 11010101 01010101 010011111 01111100 10010101 11010101 01110111 01010101 010101010 111101010 111001010 111001010 10010101 11011101 11011001 11010101 01010101 01011101 11011101 01011111 01111111 11011101 11111101 11010001 01010101 01010101 10010101 110100101 10011101 01011001
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 304
- Average number of words per stanza: 55
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, his, of, nor are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word their is repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Letter To A Friend,;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.