This is an analysis of the poem To My Little Son Preston that begins with:
You, who are four years old;
You, with the eyes of blue;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababb cdcdd dcdcc eAeaA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111101 100101 100101 100101 100101 100111 100101 101111 100101 101111 111101 111101 111111 111101 100101 111101 101101 101111 110101 101101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 139
- Average number of words per stanza: 27
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 27 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; you, of, they are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words you, they are repeated.
The author used the same word you at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To My Little Son Preston;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.