This is an analysis of the poem The Shadow that begins with:
A SHADOW glided down the way
Where sunset groped among the trees,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abXbcdcdefefgXgXfefeehehaaaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 28,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01110101 11110101 110111010 01000101 01010111 11011101 01010001 01000101 01011101 11011101 10010101 01000101 11001101 01000101 11011101 01010101 11011101 11010001 0101011 01110111 01111111 11001101 01011111 11010011 11111011 11111101 110111011 01011100
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 966
- Average number of words per stanza: 194
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 34 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; its, to, it, that are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word its is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Shadow;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.