This is an analysis of the poem The Poet that begins with:
He stands above all worldly schism,
And, gazing over life's abysm... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbbab cXddcd eeXfef gghhgh ggiiXi ccjjXj cckkck gXjjgX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 110111010 11010110 10010101 01010111 110101010 11011111 110001110 01010100 11010101 01110001 111101010 01110101 110111110 010101110 01110111 01110101 110001110 110101001 111101110 1000001010 11010101 11010111 110101110 11010101 011101110 110101010 1100101011 11010111 1101001110 111001001 100111010 011110010 10010111 10111111 011110010 11110111 111101010 110101010 01110111 110100001 110001110 11010101 011111010 011111100 01010101 01110101 110100110 011111010
- Amount of stanzas: 8
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 216
- Average number of words per stanza: 39
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, of, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words of, and are repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Poet;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.