This is an analysis of the poem Sunset In Autumn that begins with:
Blood-Coloured oaks, that stand against a sky of gold and brass;
Gaunt slopes, on which the bleak leaves glow of brier and sassafras,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aaaa bbbb cccc dddd eeee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11011101010111 111101110101101 11110101111101 01010101011111 01010101010101 010100010100111 11011101111101 11001101110111 01110001101101 11010101010101 10110101010101 01111111110111 010101011011111 011111010010101 1111101010111 01100101011111 1101010010101 01010101100111 1101110101101 110100111110101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 256
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 20
- Average number of symbols per line: 63 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 12
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sunset In Autumn;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.