This is an analysis of the poem Gipsies that begins with:
There's a scent of pungent wood smoke in the chill October air,
And a jack-o'-lantern glare, a wild and dusky glare,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbbcX X ddbbbbb X ddeeecX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 7,1,7,1,7,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101010110010101 1011101011101 101111100011101 011101 11010101110101 01010101010101 110101011100100 1 1010101011101001 1010101001101 1011000100010101 011101 11010101110101 11111100110001 110101101110111 1 01010101010111 110101110101 11110111110101 011101 01111101110101 110100010101001 110001011011101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 236
- Average number of words per stanza: 47
- Amount of lines: 23
- Average number of symbols per line: 50 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, of, her are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines ways, hills, land are repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Gipsies;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.