This is an analysis of the poem For The Old that begins with:
These are the things I pray Heaven send us still,
To blow the ashes of the years away,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbacddc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11011110111 0101000001 1101010111 01011111111 1111001111 1011110111 11110011111 1101011101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 376
- Average number of words per stanza: 70
- Amount of lines: 8
- Average number of symbols per line: 46 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; that is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of For The Old;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.