This is an analysis of the poem Authorities that begins with:
The unpretentious flowers of the woods,
That rise in bright and banded brotherhoods,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbbccXXdd eeffaabXXbbaaee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,15,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0101010001 1101110100 1011010101 1011110111 1011110101 1001010101 0111110100 1110001001 1001010101 11001110101 01010011111 1011010101 1111010111 01001100111 11001011011 1101010001 10010100001 01010010100 11110101001 10010000100 11010100011 0011000101 110100011010 010110000101
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 331
- Average number of words per stanza: 57
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, that, of are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Authorities;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.