This is an analysis of the poem A Street Of Ghosts that begins with:
The drowsy day, with half-closed eyes,
Dreams in this quaint forgotten street,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababb Xcacc dXdXe bebee efeff babga Xbgbb hbhbb XfXff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 01010111 10010101 11111101 11010101 10010101 01010101 11111111 11010100 11011011 11010111 11010101 11001001010 11010111 101111010 01010111 11010101 11011111 11011001 11011101 11110101 01111111 11010111 01110111 11010101 11010101 010011111 01010101 11011111 11011101 10010011 11010101 01011001 11110101 11010111 11110111 11011111 11010101 010101001 11000101 110010111 01011100 111111001 10110101 11100111 01010100
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 185
- Average number of words per stanza: 32
- Amount of lines: 45
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The author used the same words the, and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Street Of Ghosts;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.