This is an analysis of the poem The Lonely Woman that begins with:
WHERE the ironbarks are hanging leaves disconsolate and pale,
Where the wild vines o’er the ranges their spilt cream of blossom trail, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbccaabb ddeebb ddffbb bbggbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 101001101100011 101110101110101 101001101010111 101010101010101 111010111010101 101011100010101 1101010111010101 101010111010101 001000101011111 101110101010101 1011101010101101 1010101001010111 101010101010101 101010100010101 1001111001011101 1010100101010101 101110111011101 101110101010101 1011111010101011 101010101010101 101011101010111 001010101010101 101011101011101 111011101000101 101110101011101 111111101010101 101100101010101 101110111011101
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 476
- Average number of words per stanza: 80
- Amount of lines: 28
- Average number of symbols per line: 68 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; where is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word where is repeated.
The author used the same word where at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word waits at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase waits connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Lonely Woman;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.