This is an analysis of the poem Colonel H. L. Miller, that begins with:
Died at Hartford, December 30th, 1861.
... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X abcdeaaafghffi hfgdbXXcggji eegbgjeegaXXakfXk
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,14,12,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111001011 1011011101 01010101101 1001110101 1100010011 1011110111 0100011101 1001011101 01110011001 010001001010 110 1110100 1011011001 0101010001 0101001 0011 1101011111 1100010101 01001010111 0101001101 0110000 1101 1100010011 01010110001 01011100101 10110110101 101100 1011 0101011101 11001100101 1101011101 0101010101 0101 101101 0111110101 1101011101 010100101001 1101011011 11010001010 1001001101 010100 1001 1111110101 1100
- Amount of stanzas: 4
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 402
- Average number of words per stanza: 71
- Amount of lines: 45
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; in, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, sown are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Colonel H. L. Miller,;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.