This is an analysis of the poem When The Dark Comes Down that begins with:
When the dark comes down, oh, the wind is on the sea
With lisping laugh and whimper to the red reef's threnody,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aXbbcc ddbbcc eeaXcc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 101111010101 01011100011100 01110101010101 0100111001010101 11111111110111 111111010111 101111010101 110101011100101 11010111010101 01110111011101 11110101010101 011101010111 101111010101 11000101110101 11000111110101 010100100010100 11110101111101 11001001010111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 347
- Average number of words per stanza: 64
- Amount of lines: 18
- Average number of symbols per line: 57 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 11
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The author used the same word when at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word down at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of When The Dark Comes Down;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.