This is an analysis of the poem Before Exile that begins with:
HERE is my last good-bye,
This side the sea. ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aAaA AAXA AabA AAXA aaXa Xaba aabaXaAbA
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: rondeau rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 101101 0101 010101 110101 001101 0101 111111 110101 001101 0111 0100101 110101 001101 0101 111100 110101 100111 1101 110101 110101 101101 1111 111111 110101 001101 110101 110111 110101 101101 0101 111111 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 927
- Average number of words per stanza: 155
- Amount of lines: 39
- Average number of symbols per line: 23 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 4
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; good, bye, i, she are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words this, to are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase she connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Before Exile;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.