This is an analysis of the poem To My Mother that begins with:
Yes, I have sung of others' woes,
Until they almost seem'd mine own,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd ddXd dede ebeb ffff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11110101 01111111 11010101 11010101 010101101 11000101 01000101 11110001 111001111 110010101 110101100 01011101 111100111 11111101 11010111 11010111 11111011 11010111 11010101 11010111 1010111110 101111110 110111110 111101110
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 147
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 36 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word my is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To My Mother;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Louisa Stuart Costello
- Analysis of The Cape Of The Caba Rumia
- Analysis of The Destroying Spirit
- Analysis of The Dreamer On The Sea-Shore