This is an analysis of the poem Ennui that begins with:
Alas! and oh that Spring should come again
Upon the soft wings of desired days,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcadcda efefgbXgbc XeXedcXdXc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,10,10,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 01111011101 0101100101 1100110001 1101000101 1101101101 11110011101 101100111010 110111 11111100010 0011011101 110001010 11011101010 1000010101 10010011010 1101110011 10010101001 1101010010 110101 1101110101 1101010001 0111000101 110011101001 0111011100 11110101000 1011111111 1001010111 1111010100 110101 0111000100 1101000100
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 408
- Average number of words per stanza: 73
- Amount of lines: 30
- Average number of symbols per line: 40 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Ennui;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.