This is an analysis of the poem Not Yet 40, My Beard Is Already White. that begins with:
Not yet 40, my beard is already white.
Not yet awake, my eyes are puffy and red,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaX Xb Xacc bbX bcdXdc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 3,2,4,3,6,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 1111100101 11011111011 10111111 10110100 1111 11 1111001011 1011010 1011101010 1111001001 11010101 110101111 11011101 1011 101001 11 01001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 82
- Average number of words per stanza: 17
- Amount of lines: 17
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; can, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words not, i'll, and are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Not Yet 40, My Beard Is Already White.;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Lew Welch
- Analysis of I Saw Myself
- Analysis of Taxi Suite (Excerpt: 1. After Anacreon)
- Analysis of The Image, As In A Hexagram: