This is an analysis of the poem To Olinthus Gregory, On Hearing Of The Death Of His Eldest Son, Who Was Drowned As He Was Returning By Water To His Father’s House At Woolrich that begins with:
IS there a spot where Pity's foot,
Although unsandalled, fears to tread,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcaca dedefbfb babaghgh ccccbcbcXbbbbcbcb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01011101 111000101 01010101 11110111 00010001 11110101 11011101 11110101 11110101 11110101 01010001 01011101 01110101 11010101 10011101 11010101 110101101 10010101 01010101 11001101 01010001 10011101 01010010 11001111 11110111 01011101 11110101 10110101 11111011 01010111 11011101 11011101 110101010 11010101 01010001 11011111 11010111 00011101 01010101 11111101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 270
- Average number of words per stanza: 51
- Amount of lines: 40
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; where, so are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words where, a, so, ah are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of To Olinthus Gregory, On Hearing Of The Death Of His Eldest Son, Who Was Drowned As He Was Returning By Water To His Father’s House At Woolrich;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.