This is an analysis of the poem Girl At Her Devotions. By Newton that begins with:
SHE was just risen from her bended knee,
But yet peace seem'd not with her piety;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcccddeeffgg hhddiiabjjhhiijj ddkkjjaXlliimmaakkff
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 13,16,20,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 1111000101 1111100100 11110001011 1101011101 1101110111 01110100101 0111011111 01010101110 11110001010 0101000101 1100011101 1011000111 0101010101 01010100111 110011101001 101101001010 01010101010 1001010010 1011001100 01001011010 0100010100 0100111101 1111010111 0111010101 1101110101 11110010001 1111110101 1101110101 0111010111 1101011101 0111011101 1110111101 1011011001 0101101101 0101000101 1101101110 110001110 11000010101 1011001101 1111111101 1101010001 1101001111 1101010101 1101011111 01010010101 1111000101 1101001100 1100011111 1101110111
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 708
- Average number of words per stanza: 129
- Amount of lines: 49
- Average number of symbols per line: 42 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, that, it, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words like, the are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Girl At Her Devotions. By Newton;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Letitia Elizabeth Landon
- Analysis of On An Engraving Of Hindoo Temples
- Analysis of The Crusader
- Analysis of A Child Screening A Dove From A Hawk. By Stewardson