This is an analysis of the poem They Don't Know What They Want that begins with:
They don't know what they want.
To get it....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: AAAAAAAA bXaX AAAA cdeaX AAAA dceffcXa AaaaAAaa effc AAacXbaf
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,4,4,5,4,8,8,4,8,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111111 010 010 0001 111111 010 010 101 1101111 110000 11101 1101001000 111111 010 010 0001 11101011 110101001 11101011001 10101001101 001001001001 111111 010 010 101 1111001010 010110 010101 11110101 1101011001 101011111 111001100000 1111000001 111111 00010 11010 111001 111111 010 0110 001100 110101 101 0111110 01001101 111111 010 11110 01101010 11110 11010 1010011 0011
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 155
- Average number of words per stanza: 29
- Amount of lines: 53
- Average number of symbols per line: 25 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; get, to, it, they are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words to, they are repeated.
The author used the same word they at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines it is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of They Don't Know What They Want;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.