This is an analysis of the poem Straight that begins with:
In a society where everyone has been left bent...
Or crooked by events, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaXcdXd ceaf fXX eegf gXhe hgbchfffef X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 9,4,3,4,4,10,1,
- Closest metre: trochaic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 00010011011011 110101 11100001 10111 10101111010 1111 00101101000100 1 1001110100 1 111001110101 1010010101 1011100101010 101101010 01111000 1100101110 11010011 111101 1011101 1011111 1 00100010100110 110010010 1100110101 10101 001000100111 111 1 101111100 1011010010 10101010100 10 1 1101110100 1110011
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 154
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 30 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
There are many three dots in the poem. Readers should think of the author's idea together with the pensive speaker.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; not is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word not is repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Straight;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Analysis of Which One Is Left To Experience Regret?
- Analysis of Left To Win Their Arguments
- Analysis of Qualities That Attract