This is an analysis of the poem Promises Of Love that begins with:
Promises of love...
Who's gonna give it and who gets it....
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ABABCBDB abXXbXX ABCBDB ABABcbDbXABAba
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,7,6,14,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 10001 110101110 110001 110110100 010001 01001011 01010 01001110 000010101 1100 0 0001 11110 001000111 110010101 110001 110110100 010001 01001011 01010 01001110 10001 110101110 110001 110110100 010001 111100010 01010 1100011010 10001 110101110 110001 101010 0000101
- Amount of stanzas: 5
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 188
- Average number of words per stanza: 36
- Amount of lines: 34
- Average number of symbols per line: 27 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
There are many three dots in the poem. Readers should think of the author's idea together with the pensive speaker.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; promise, it, of, to, promises, love are repeated.
The author used the same word promises at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word honest at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Promises Of Love;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Analysis of Paying The Consequences
- Analysis of Remember To Value Patience
- Analysis of A Comfort Missed