This is an analysis of the poem I Could But I Choose Not To that begins with:
If one has been given a gift to 'see',
With a wish to deliver......
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabXcdec X ec dX eba X Xe X bXX X X
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,1,2,2,3,1,2,1,3,1,1,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 0110100101 0010010 1101001011 0010111010 10100100101 1 01111111 0001010101101 11011110011 1 110 1110110010 111001 0111 0111 110001010 1110 110 1111110 1111101111 1011100010 101 111011 11111 010011110
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 65
- Average number of words per stanza: 12
- Amount of lines: 25
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; to is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word sometimes is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of I Could But I Choose Not To;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Lawrence S. Pertillar
- Analysis of Represented By Pseudonyms
- Analysis of Too Busy Moving Forward
- Analysis of A Movement Made Much Too Popular