This is an analysis of the poem Exhausted that begins with:
From the high cost of living, ...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abcDde aaXbDXafe agh fh gXfgf agidfiieX cXa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,9,3,2,5,9,3,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: enclosed rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 010 0011010 1001011101 1111 1011111 1110 010 01011 11010 011111 1111 10111000 10110 110111 1010 010 010011 001110 010101 11001101 10111111 1110101011 10110 0011100101 1011011011 11010 11100101 11 1111111011 111010111 111 11111 100110 1100111 111011110 11 1111111010
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 138
- Average number of words per stanza: 24
- Amount of lines: 37
- Average number of symbols per line: 25 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
There are many exclamation marks in the poem. The speaker is excited. He or she has strong feelings on the subject that is described in the poem.
There are many three dots in the poem. Readers should think of the author's idea together with the pensive speaker.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word like is repeated.
The author used the same word exhausted at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The poet repeated the same word busy at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Exhausted;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.