This is an analysis of the poem The Box that begins with:
Once upon a time, in the land of Hush-A-Bye,
Around about the wondrous days of yore, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XabBXcabadabaXeaXXadafacaaaeaggaXabadfabBX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 42,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: limerick
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 101010010101 0101010101 11010101 11011101 1101011101 001110101110010101 101010111010101 1100010101011101 1111010101 0101011010000 110110010101 1101010101001101 1101010101 1010101011010 0101011110 0110101 11010111 11010111 11001110101 11101110001 1100110101 01010101110111 1101110111101 01111110101 10001010101111101 1101010101 1101111111 010101011110110 01010011111 110111110 10001110 0101010101 1101010100010011 1010101010101 111101000101011101 11110101010101 11010101000101 1010 0101010101110101 101110101 11011101 1101011101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 2107
- Average number of words per stanza: 395
- Amount of lines: 42
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, and, or, it, them, to are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words they, it are repeated.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase all connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Box;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.