This is an analysis of the poem Two Wishes Xi that begins with:
In the silence of the night Death descended from God toward the earth. He hovered above a city and pierced the dwellings with his eyes. He say the...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X X X X a X X X X a X X XX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,1,2,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: sonnet with trochaic pentameter or irregular meter
- Metre: 001000110100101011100101011010001110101011011010100100010 101101001010100111110001010100110011101011010101101111011111110100101101011 11101011001100111011100111001111101111101100111111011111101001101111111000110 11110101001010111110 0101010111111111111110101111011111001111101 1010101101110111111111001111000100 1001001010101101011100111111010110101 1001000111011011011111101010100100111010111111101010111111111001010010110110111111111111110110110100111001101111110 1101011111000101110101101010010011001001010010 11110010100010111011000111110101010110111001101011111111011001101111110111100101111110101101010001110101111001111111100010101110110110101011011 10111110111011111111010111101111011111011101010 11010101010010110100110000101101101010001111110010 10010100100 1111110000
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 244
- Average number of words per stanza: 44
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 228 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 41
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, he, you, death, to, with, of, my, i, have, take, but, what, him, your, life, not, me, his, hand, for are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word when is repeated.
The author used the same word when at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines eternity is repeated).
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase death connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Two Wishes Xi;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.