This is an analysis of the poem News that begins with:
I cool her in winter...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: XaXbcdXebc faX Xgh fgXi defi hfh jajXejei
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 10,3,3,4,4,3,8,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 11 110010 010110 101 1 01111 11010011 110 010111 0101 1011 10100100 1111 101 10100 101010 111 011000100 0010001001 10 01000001 1101010 011110 10 100110 1101001011 01 01011111 10 1101 101100 011101110 0111101 0110 11100100
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 102
- Average number of words per stanza: 20
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 20 (very short strings)
- Average number of words per line: 4
Mood of the speaker:
The speaker asks many questions. Perhaps, he or she is in confusion.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; like is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word like is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of News;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Kenneth Koch
- Analysis of A Momentary Longing To Hear Sad Advice From One Long Dead
- Analysis of To You
- Analysis of Talking To Patrizia