This is an analysis of the poem Man Overboard that begins with:
YOUNG, the naked stoker who went
Mad with the fires and leapt to the sea,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abaXcdcdebeb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 12,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 10101011 1001011001 11100111 111100100 010010001 111110101 100100111 0010101101 010110111 011110101 101010101 1101011001
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 464
- Average number of words per stanza: 85
- Amount of lines: 12
- Average number of symbols per line: 38 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Man Overboard;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.