This is an analysis of the poem How Long? that begins with:
How long, O Prince of Peace, how long? We sicken of the shame
Of this wild war that wraps the world, a roaring dragon-flame... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbaccXXcddeedffggXhhiiheeddeiiffijjkkjaajjaXXXX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 49,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 11110111110001 00111101010101 111100111110001 110001 00101001011010101 11110101001101 11010101110101 11111101010011 110101 01010101101100 10010101010101 01000100010111 101100011100101 010010 01100101010111 111101001000111 11111100110101 11110101011101 010101 010001010011100 11111101110111 110011000101001 100101011101001 110111 01010101110011 11010100110101 11010101001101 0111000101101 111101 11010001101101 11010001100101 01011101111101 11010101011101 010001 10010101110001 11011101010011 11010101010001 11010101010101 110111 11110101110101 11111101011101 10010001010111 100100111010111 011100 11000101010100 11011101111100 11000101010011101 010111 11010101110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 2645
- Average number of words per stanza: 471
- Amount of lines: 49
- Average number of symbols per line: 53 (very long strings)
- Average number of words per line: 10
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of, with, and, to, come are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words bring, o are repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of How Long?;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.