This is an analysis of the poem Night Subway that begins with:
The nurse coming off her shift at the psychiatric ward
nodding over the Post, her surprisingly delicate legs...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbaXbaXXXbXX Xccb Xc
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 13,4,2,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: no rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01101011010101 101001001001001 101010111010 101010110010 1010101101011 010001001110 100100010101 1010110110111 1001101100 0111101011010 1101111101010 10101111001 10110111101 111010110101 110110111001 0110101101001 11100100100 11001110 010001101101001
- Amount of stanzas: 3
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 318
- Average number of words per stanza: 56
- Amount of lines: 19
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; of is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Night Subway;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.