This is an analysis of the poem Lines that begins with:
Affectionately inscribed to my father's friend, Hon. D. F. Miller
Dear friend, 'twas not thy word of praise, ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X aabbccdd eefXggdd bbcchhii fXhhjjeeXbbiiaaee
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,8,8,8,17,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01000010110110001110 11111101 01011101 11101101 01010011 10110001 111100101 01010101 11011101 01010101 110010011 01010101 010101010 01000101 10110101 11111111 11010101 11011101 111101001 101101101 11010111 01110111 01010111 11011111 11010111 111101001 111111100 01010101 10010111 10100101 000100111 110111001 0001001001 11111101 11011101 11111111 11110101 001100001 010111001 111101010 011001010
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 257
- Average number of words per stanza: 46
- Amount of lines: 41
- Average number of symbols per line: 37 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; his, thy are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word where is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Lines;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.