This is an analysis of the poem Grandmother Dickey that begins with:
It was years ago one October day
When a shadow fell on my Life's bright way;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbaa ccddaa eeffgg hhccgg ffaaee iibbjj ggff kkffjj ggXidX ffkkaa ffeXcX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 6,6,6,6,6,6,4,6,6,6,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 0100110101 1011111111 1011101111 1100101001 00111101111 1110101111 1111110101 1110110101 0100100111 0110101111 10100111101 1111101101 111010111 1100110111 01101001101 1101101011 111111111 1110101101 100101101 11111001001 11100111011 111100101 11111101111 010011111 111110101 010101101 0010111101 110100101 1101100101 11101100101 0100110111 01111100111 11101011011 1100100101 111110101 11001101101 1111111111 011110101 111101111011 01111101011 110101101 110100101 1110100111 110101111 110100111 1010110111 0100110101 1110110111 1110111111 11110101101 11111011001 11100111101 1100111101 0101111110 010110101 00100100111 1010101111 1110101111 1111100101 0110110101 0110110101 11011011010 11100110011 1111001111
- Amount of stanzas: 11
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 255
- Average number of words per stanza: 49
- Amount of lines: 64
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; would, and, she, to, ', i are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word ' is repeated.
The author used the same word and at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase ' connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Grandmother Dickey;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.