This is an analysis of the poem Centennial that begins with:
The scorching August rays fell fast,
As through a Western village passed... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabbX ccddX XXXdX eXffX ddeeX ggaXX aaddX
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,5,5,5,5,5,5,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 01010111 11010101 01111111 01010101 100 01110101 01110101 11011111 01010111 100 11010011 1110110 110101010 11000101 100 10101111101 1010100011 110010111 11010101 100 11010101 11110101 01010001 11011101 100 01111101 11010101 11111101 110001101 100 111101101 01110101 010111001 11011101 100
- Amount of stanzas: 7
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 158
- Average number of words per stanza: 28
- Amount of lines: 35
- Average number of symbols per line: 31 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; ' is repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words a, ' are repeated.
The author used the same word the at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines ' is repeated).
The poet repeated the same word ' at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase ' connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Centennial;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by Kate Harrington
- Analysis of Eighteen Hundred And Sixty-Two
- Analysis of Angel Whispers
- Analysis of Iowa's Centennial Poem