This is an analysis of the poem A Dirge For Horace Greeley that begins with:
Weep, weep, O my country ! the cord has been severed
That bound the great heart of a statesman to thee ; ... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcXcd eaeaaaaa cdcdfcfc ghfhdgdg fafaiaia jkjkXgXg
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 8,8,8,8,8,8,
- Closest metre: trochaic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 111110011010 11011001001 010111110010 01001001001 010011011110 01001001001 1011010011010 01001011001 10100110101101 11101011011 1010010110011 111001011101 010010011110 11011111001 0111001010010 01001101001 1101100100010 11101011011 010011010010 11001001011 110110010110 11101101111 110011110010 11011011001 01001011101 00111011001 111011011010 11001111001 1011011100010 11101001011 110110010110 11101001001 111111111110 11011101001 110111010010 101011001101 111110011110 111001111001 1011010010110 01011001101 111011110010 00101111111 110010011010 101011101111 11100101101000 101001101001 1011111010110 11001111001
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 402
- Average number of words per stanza: 74
- Amount of lines: 48
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 9
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, it, to, his are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same word and is repeated.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of A Dirge For Horace Greeley;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.