This is an analysis of the poem Leave Off The Agony In Style that begins with:
Come all ye good people, listen to me, pray,
While I speak of fashion and style of today;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: aabb c BBbb dcbb c eXbb c eXbb c ddXb cXBBbb
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,1,4,4,1,4,1,4,1,4,6,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: couplets
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: heroic couplets
- Metre: 11101010011 11101011001 01010110001 0101011011 10 110100111 01111011101 011011110101 01110101011 100010110001 111110110101 11001000101 11111011011 10 1001001111 0110100110101 01010101101 101001011011 10 11010101111 1110101101 110101001001 01111011011 10 10010100101001 11110100010011 1011011011101 100101011011 10 110100111 01111011101 011011110101 011101101011
- Amount of stanzas: 12
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 114
- Average number of words per stanza: 21
- Amount of lines: 33
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; they, you are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words they, will are repeated.
The poet repeated the same word style at the end of some neighboring stanzas. The poetic device is a kind of epiphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Leave Off The Agony In Style;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.