This is an analysis of the poem The Soul's Need that begins with:
I WISH for nothing more
Than my emotion of now;...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abbcd Xef gh fdi hjdf eiX fdfkji hfjXdd dbfDlkcfl mDf eXdXhdmaigXd
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 5,3,2,3,4,3,6,6,9,3,12,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 111101 1101001 101010101 101101 000101 1101101 10111010 111101 1111101 10100111 11101010101 101010111 1101011101 11111111010 1100010111 11111101110 1101111011 11010111010 000101011101 0101011111 11001100101 11011100010 11110101001 11010101010 10110001010 1101010111 1101011111 1101011111 101011001101 0101100101 111111000011 11011101001 110111010 100111 110011100 001111 11101 01110 110111 1101100 101001 0101010 001111 100101 0101010 110011 1100001 01010 1011011110 10101 110100 11010001 11101 10101 10111 110101
- Amount of stanzas: 9
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 229
- Average number of words per stanza: 40
- Amount of lines: 62
- Average number of symbols per line: 33 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 6
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; my, that, and, nor, be, would are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, nor are repeated.
The author used the same word then at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
The literary device anadiplosis is detected in two or more neighboring lines. The word/phrase she connects the lines.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Soul's Need;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.