This is an analysis of the poem The Bridal Gift that begins with:
LAST night at the fair I met light-footed Polly,
And Nanny from Earsdon and bothersome Nell,...
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab BBBC dXdX E fgfg E hihi E ajajXBBBC
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,1,4,1,4,1,9,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: blank verse
- Metre: 111011111010 11001011001 110110110110 11011001101 1011011011101 11011011101 11011001111 11001011 010100011010 01001001011 011010011010 01011101010 101101101100 010111010111 01011101011 0110010010011 01011001111 101101101100 010110111010 01001001011 010110011010 01111001011 101101101100 110110111110 01101111011 111110111110 11001101001 1011011011101 11011011101 11011001111 11001011
- Amount of stanzas: 10
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 152
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 31
- Average number of symbols per line: 49 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; and, nor, not are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words and, not, a, the are repeated.
There is a poetic device epiphora at the end of some neighboring lines bell is repeated).
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of The Bridal Gift;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.