This is an analysis of the poem He Was Acquainted With Grief that begins with:
I cannot tell the sorrows that I feel
By the night's darkness, by the prison's gloom;... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: ababcdcdefefaa
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: shakespearean sonnet
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: Shakespearean sonnet
- Metre: 1101010111 1011010101 1011110101 0101000101 1011011101 1100011111 1111010101 1101010101 1111010101 0101010101 1001110101 1111010101 1101111101 0111110101
- Amount of stanzas: 1
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 617
- Average number of words per stanza: 118
- Amount of lines: 14
- Average number of symbols per line: 43 (strings are more long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of He Was Acquainted With Grief;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.