This is an analysis of the poem Balaam's Wish that begins with:
How blest the righteous are
When they resign their breath!... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd efef gaga dbXb chch
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,
- Closest metre: iambic trimeter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: unknown form
- Metre: 110101 110111 11010101 010101 111111 010101 11010110 100101 010111 110001 11010111 010101 110111 011101 11011001 110101 110101 100111 11010101 111101 111111 100101 01010111 010111
- Amount of stanzas: 6
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 114
- Average number of words per stanza: 21
- Amount of lines: 24
- Average number of symbols per line: 28 (strings are less long than medium ones)
- Average number of words per line: 5
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Balaam's Wish;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by John Newton
- Analysis of Ask What I Shall Give Thee (Iii)
- Analysis of The Inward Warfare
- Analysis of Jacob's Ladder