This is an analysis of the poem Sonnet 20 that begins with:
Lawrence, of virtuous father virtuous son,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: X abcaabcadedbbe
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 1,14,
- Closest metre: iambic pentameter
- Сlosest rhyme: rima
- Сlosest stanza type: sonnet
- Guessed form: rondeau
- Metre: 1 100100101001 11011111110 11101111010 1101011101 0011010101 1101100101 01011101010 01011110111 1110111111 0101011111 0101111101 1001011101 1101011111 0101010101
- Amount of stanzas: 2
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 311
- Average number of words per stanza: 58
- Amount of lines: 15
- Average number of symbols per line: 41 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 8
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of Sonnet 20;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.
More information about poems by John Milton
- Analysis of To The Lord Generall Cromwell May 1652
- Analysis of To Cyriack Skinner
- Analysis of Sonnet Xvi: Cromwell, Our Chief Of Men