This is an analysis of the poem St. Simon And St. Jude that begins with:
Seest thou, how tearful and alone,
And drooping like a wounded dove,... full text
Elements of the verse: questions and answers
The information we provided is prepared by means of a special computer program. Use the criteria sheet to understand greatest poems or improve your poetry analysis essay.
- Rhyme scheme: abab cdcd XeXe afaf ghgh icic haha cXcj hdhd jhjh cjcj kckcXdkdk
- Stanza lengths (in strings): 4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,4,9,
- Closest metre: iambic tetrameter
- Сlosest rhyme: alternate rhyme
- Сlosest stanza type: tercets
- Guessed form: ballad stanza
- Metre: 11110101 11010101 01011101 01010101 10111101 11110111 111100101 11011001 110100111 01001101 111101001 10011101 01000101 01110101 00110101 01011101 11011111 01010101 01011101 11010101 11011101 110010101 11010101 11010101 11111111 10111101 11110111 11011101 11111101 011100100 01011101 10110101 10010101 111111001 110100101 01010101 11010111 11010111 01010101 110011001 10110111 11010111 10010111 11010101 11010111 01010001 11111101 11011111 110101001 11010101 11110111 10111101
- Amount of stanzas: 13
- Average number of symbols per stanza: 144
- Average number of words per stanza: 26
- Amount of lines: 52
- Average number of symbols per line: 35 (medium-length strings)
- Average number of words per line: 7
Mood of the speaker:
The punctuation marks are various. Neither mark predominates.
The author used lexical repetitions to emphasize a significant image; her, of, his, and are repeated.
The poet used anaphora at the beginnings of some neighboring lines. The same words the, he, when are repeated.
The author used the same word he at the beginnings of some neighboring stanzas. The figure of speech is a kind of anaphora.
If you write a school or university poetry essay, you should Include in your explanation of the poem:
- summary of St. Simon And St. Jude;
- central theme;
- idea of the verse;
- history of its creation;
- critical appreciation.
Good luck in your poetry interpretation practice!
Pay attention: the program cannot take into account all the numerous nuances of poetic technique while analyzing. We make no warranties of any kind, express or implied, about the completeness, accuracy, reliability and suitability with respect to the information.